With increasing concern for the water quality of our groundwater supply, now is the time to seal abandoned wells.
The procedure is as follows:
- Pick up an application form from your county NRCS Office.
- Landowners should apply for the program by submitting the 100a form with a completed well sealer's price quote to their local NRCS Office.
- The work may not start until after the LENRD has approved the application.
- After the well is sealed, the landowner will submit the contractors bill to their local NRCS office to be certified to the LENRD.
- Upon receiving certification from NRCS, the LENRD will reimburse the well owner 75% of the approved costs of sealing the well--up to a limit of $500 for drilled wells or $700 for dug wells.
Landowners are required to report the abandonment of a registered well to the Nebraska Department of Water Resources.