The Lower Elkhorn Natural Resources District provides the following services as a part of our Conservation Tree Program. You can order hand-plant seedlings, weed barrier, and the Small Acreage Package by returning a printed order form with your payment.
As of March 29th, we are SOLD OUT of the following species: American Linden, Black Cherry, Bur Oak, Cotoneaster, Crabapple, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Red-Osier Dogwood, and Winterberry.
Tree and Shrub Seedlings
- Seedlings cost $22.00 for a bundle of 25
- Each species must be ordered in lots of 25
Machine Planting Service
- There is a charge of $0.55 / seedling
- There is a minimum planting charge of $275.00 per project
- Contact your local NRCS office or LENRD Forester to design your tree planting plan.
Chemical Weed Control
- There is a charge of $2.00 / 100 linear feet of tree planting row.
- The NRD offers the chemical weed control service only as a part of their machine planting service.
Water Conservation Mulch
- Competing with weeds for moisture and nutrients is one of the main causes of slow growth and death in new tree planting projects. Water Conservation Mulch can improve growth rates and survival by reducing the competition with weeds and grass. The LENRD offers an installation service for the mulch. Contact your local NRCS office or the LENRD Forester for more information on the mulch and designing a tree planting plan.
Weed Barrier Mats
- Weed Barrier Mats cost $40.00 for a bundle of 25 mats.
- Weed barrier mats must be ordered in lots of 25.
The Small Acreage Package
- This package is a new option for landowners who want to diversify what trees and shrubs they plant, but do not need to purchase the full bundle of 25. In this package you will receive a bundle of 50 seedlings, 10 each of 5 different species for $44: 10 Southwestern White Pine, 10 Colorado Blue Spruce, 10 Swamp White Oak, 10 Red-osier Dogwood, and 10 Serviceberry.
Conservation Trees for Nebraska
- Check out trees suited for conservation plantings in Nebraska, and download the mobile app for iOS or Android at nrdtrees.org